You might have done a lot of things to be successful in business. You might have worked hard in school to get a college degree, and you might have made a lot of personal sacrifices and put in a lot of hard work at your job. Of all of the things that you might have done so far to be successful in the world of business, however, you might not have thought about learning another language.
However, learning Chinese might be the next thing that you can do to be successful in the business world. If you’re wondering, “Why learn Chinese for business?” then consider the information below. It might be a great goal for you to set next.
Why Learn Chinese for Business?
You might have already been pretty successful in the business world without learning another language, so you could be wondering why it’s really something that you should pursue now. Once you consider some of the perks that you can enjoy in the business world from learning Chinese, you might find that it’s worth some consideration. These are some of those perks:
Chinese is more popular than you think.
- Chinese is more popular than you think. If you are used to doing business in the United States, you might not have interacted with a lot of people who speak Chinese. What you have to know, though, is that Mandarin Chinese is the language that is spoken by the most native speakers on earth. Once you learn Chinese, you can communicate with business professionals in China and in other countries as well, such as Taiwan.
There are more opportunities to learn Chinese than you might realize.
- There are more opportunities to learn Chinese than you might realize. You might be used to people in the United States learning how to speak Spanish or maybe even French as a second language, but you might not realize how many opportunities there are to learn Chinese, too. For example, these is a program that is subsidized by the Chinese government that helps subsidize the cost of Mandarin Chinese programs in high schools and colleges in the United States. There are also a lot of books, videos and more out there that can help you learn Chinese on your own.
Knowing Chinese makes travel in China much easier.
- Knowing Chinese makes travel in China much easier. If you do a lot of business in China, then you probably have to travel there often. If this is the case, then you might have already found that getting around and doing the simplest of things can be very tricky if you do not speak the language. Knowing at least a few words in Chinese can help make travel there a whole lot easier for you. This might not be a big deal for someone who might travel there every once in a while for pleasure, but if you are in China frequently for business, it can make a big difference and can make your life a whole lot easier.
It can actually help with business relations.
- It can actually help with business relations. Even though you will generally always be considered an “outsider” by businessmen and businesswomen in China if you aren’t from there, you can build stronger relations with the people who you do business with in China by learning their language. Having at least some knowledge of the language can also help you catch bad translations and have a general idea of what is going on when you’re doing business there, even if you still need the help of a translator.
To many people in the world of business, there are more advantages to learning Chinese for business than there are disadvantages. However, there are some negative aspects that you may want to be aware of before you decide to learn Chinese:
Chinese is a difficult language to learn.
- Chinese is a difficult language to learn. Learning another language is always challenging. However, of all of the languages in the world, Mandarin Chinese is considered by many to be one of the most difficult. This does not mean that you can’t learn to speak Chinese if you put in an effort. It does, however, mean that you have a lot of work ahead of you.
It can take a long time to learn Chinese.
- It can take a long time to learn Chinese. Many people who are interested in learning how to speak Chinese spend years studying it. It’s a complex language, and it can take a long time to develop even a basic grasp of it. It’s easy to get frustrated with the amount of studying that has to be done, but if you’re willing to put in the effort and if you’re patient about the process, it can be incredibly rewarding in both personal and business-related ways.
There are differences between different regional dialects.
- There are differences between different regional dialects. If you decide to study Chinese, you will probably focus on learning standard Mandarin Chinese. This is the language that is generally used in Beijing, but there are different regional dialects that are used in other areas of the country. It would be impossible to learn all of the different regional dialects, so you have to understand that your Chinese will probably only “work” in certain areas. Generally, these areas are more urban areas, though, which is beneficial for those who are wondering how to learn Chinese for business.
How to Learn Chinese for Business
If you have weighed out the pros and cons of learning Chinese for business and have decided that it’s something that you’re interested in, you could be wondering what to do next. These are some of the tips that can help you if you are interested in learning Chinese for business purposes:
Be patient and realistic with your expectations.
- Be patient and realistic with your expectations. As mentioned above, it can take a long time to learn Chinese. It’s essential to be realistic with your expectations and to be patient if you want to be successful and if you want to avoid getting overwhelmed or disappointed along the way.
Schedule learning Chinese into your schedule.
- Schedule learning Chinese into your schedule. If you’re a busy professional, then you might be worried about whether you have enough time to focus on learning Chinese. Simply scheduling your study time into your schedule can help.
Make use of all of your resources.
- Make use of all of your resources. There are tons of great resources that you can use while learning Chinese. Consider taking a class or working with a tutor, and check out all of the books, videos and other materials that are available to help you out.